Thursday, May 30, 2013

Running Apps

There are so many running apps available for smart phones, from free to pricey. I am all about free. There are a few different running apps that I have tried out and I want to share my thoughts about them.

Map My Run
Map My Run has a free version. I used it briefly at the beginning of the year. It works pretty good for being free. You can keep track of how long and far you are running. Using you GPS it will even map out your route as you go. 

Endomondo
I love Endomomdo. My brother told me about it. It works similarly to My My Run (keeps track of your distance/time, maps out your route, has a free version and full version you can pay monthly for) but it offers more for free. If you have friends on Endomomdo they can "like" or comment on your workout. When you are out running your friends on Endomondo can give you 'pep talks'. The Endomondo program will read them to you while you run. A few weeks ago I was out running and I heard (in a computer voice) "Pep talk from Margie: 'You go Kate! Run like the wind!'" It lifted my spirit and motivated me to push harder. If you run and don't use Endomondo I encourage you to do so. I know I could use all the pep talks I can get come race time. 

Nike+ Running
I saw on Facebook a few friends using this app. I thought it looked pretty good. When you run the Nike+ Running app will post on Facebook for you. Friends can "like" or comment on your running status and when they do so you will hear applause. I liked hearing the applause throughout my run but I wish the app would read the comments to me. So if I have a portable battery charger by the time I run my half marathon I will use both Endomondo and Nike+ Running. 

Are there any running apps you have tried and liked? Please leave a comment and let me know. I am always open to trying different things. Now of course you don't need to have an app to go out and run. You can use a watch or stopwatch to keep track of your time. Or forget tracking your running altogether and just go out and run. 

Happy running!
-Kate, your "not too fit" guru

No comments:

Post a Comment