Saturday, June 1, 2013

Running With a Stroller

On my training schedule for my half marathon I was supposed to run a 5k today. My sister-in-law is hosting a free 5k next week so I decided to switch around a few things. Now instead of a 5k I was supposed to run 7 miles. That didn't happen.

I have been struggling with running with the stroller. Over the last couple weeks I have figured something out.  A few weeks ago I ran 5 miles. I was home alone with my daughter so I took her in the stroller. After that run my right calve muscle was really sore. It got better as I ran but it was super sore for a while.  Last week when I ran my 6 mile run alone my leg felt fine by the end. After that I had no problems... until this week, running with the stroller.

I have discovered that I run differently when I am pushing the stroller.  I don't use my arms as much because they are pushing the stroller. I am not running as tall. I slouch a little. When running up hills I hunch over the stroller and rely on it to hold me.  I run in some way that either pulls a muscle in my right leg or makes it sore.

Today when I was running I felt that muscle hurting. After running 3 miles I decided to stop. I don't want to injure myself anymore. I don't feel bad about stopping today. It wasn't like my 4 mile run this week when I wanted to end it early.  I felt like I knew my body needed a break. I am going to have to figure out a way to run this next week on my own (until my hubby comes home and can watch the kids). Curse the wretched stroller that changes the way I run!

For those of you who are running, I hope you are fairing better than me. Happy running!



-Kate, your not-too-fit guru

No comments:

Post a Comment