Friday, June 7, 2013

Juicing

I have been really interested in juicing lately. After watching Fat Sick and Nearly Dead I was really inspired to get into juicing. Well in order to juice you need a juicer and that I did not have. Well I just bought a juicer, folks! I am so excited about it!

I went out and bought a Hamilton Beach Big Mouth Juicer. It is not top of the line, but it got pretty good reviews for being a lower end juicer. I will say it is really noisy.  I like it though. The juicer is really easy to assemble and really easy to clean up. Wanna see it? Do ya? Ok, here it is:


Ahh, I am so happy!! I have made a few juices in it, and I wanted to share this recipe I made tonight.  It is called Rainbow Bright Green Juice, although mine turned out orange and not green.  Here are the ingredients:
3 kale leaves
3 celery stalks
4 carrots
2 apples, cored

I have read to juice kale leaves first so they can mix in with the other juices better.  My mom said to juice the celery last because it helps to clean out the juicer. I also read to core the apple before juicing it.  Everything else can just be juiced through whole. Make sure to wash your produce.  You can find out how to prepare your produce for juicing here.

Juicing is really fun. I get excited to juice. Weird, I know. But you should try it sometime and you will see. I get a deep satisfaction when the veggies and fruit just zip right through the juicer and BAM! you have juice. It is amazing how much produce you can get in such a small amount of juice. Here is how much produce I used:


And here is the juice it made:

I used a spoon to sift out the frothy part. Some people drink the froth, and some hate it. I usually drink it, but the cup was going to overflow if I left it.  It tasted very carrot-y.  Maybe less carrot next time. It tasted pretty good even with the carrot-y flavor. And I got tons of nutrients in in a flash! I can't imagine sitting and eating all that produce. It was easy to drink. Yum!

Yay for a new juicer! I am excited to try more recipes!

Happy juicing!

-Kate you not-too-fit guru




No comments:

Post a Comment